Monday, April 27, 2009

Memories......

I commute to work with a fellow employee. She lives about 4 blocks away and picks me up after dropping her daughter off at school. We have a great relationship, I am dramatically older, 2 FULL days, her brother is gay and lives with is partner in Chicago, and I entertain her with jokes. On Friday she asked me to bring in a picture of my family. after hearing storied about them, she wanted a visual. So today I bought in two photos, one of my mom and one of the whole family. Mom's picture was taken just before her health started to fail, taken in my parent's home at the time. The second is my brother's wedding about 20 years ago.
My mom was just past her 70th birthday and is the last picture she had taken. Though this is the picture I have in my room of her, I remember her as she was in the mid 1960s. When our birthday parties were events to be celebrated, ice cream in individual containers with wooden 'spoons, cupcakes topped with coconut tinted in different colors, birthday cake and games. For my older brother's fifth birthday there was a rented pony for rides. This was a big deal in suburban New Jersey.
The wedding picture is from the late 80s when my younger brother got married the first time. It was held in a boy's school in Subiaco, Arkansas. Yes, out in the middle of nowhere, halfway between Little Rock and Ft Smith, right near the nuclear plant in Clarksville. It was a fun time, most of us flew into Memphis to my parent's home at the time and then we drove over to the wedding. I drove my father's Tempo(a real stylish ride) with Mitzi and Dawn my two sister in laws. I remember the drive and we had a good time.
Though I only looked at two pictures memories flooded back of these events and others too, family vacations, holiday preparations and meals among others. So break out the old photo album and take a stroll down memory lane with your family. For future memories, call Damron Vacations and plan a trip off your bucket list, time will not wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment