Monday, February 2, 2009

Another Friday night

The week is over, and time to start the weekend. Typically for me this is the one night of the week that I will go out. Usually for happy hour then home.
I go to one of, if not THE, most popular places in Wilton Manors. Located in what was once a strip shopping center with a grocery store, it is now the unofficial center of the gay world in Ft Lauderdale. With a large parking lot, which is rare for most bars, it is a first stop for many bar hopping trips. From the parking lot, which it shares with another bar, it is an easy walk to at least 6 other bars and numerous restaurants and shops catering to alternative lifestyles. One of my favorite things about it is, no smoking. With the smoking legislation a few years ago, establishments that sell a certain percentage of food, smoking is prohibited inside. So no going home reeking of cigarette smoke. That and the 2-4-1 cocktails until 9 pm is also nice.
It seems the that usual crowd is there. I had taken a period of time off from bar hopping, so now that I have resumed, it seems the same people are in the same location each week sitting on the same bar stool. Since this is a vacation city, there is always an assortment of tourists. Some of the regulars I recognize from when I moved here over 7 years ago.
One thing I noticed this past weekend is cell phone usage. It seemed that over 50% of the people were calling or texting most of the night. I saw a few couples that seemed to be on dates, and one would leave for refills, the other would pull out a cell phone and start typing. I do not even know how to text on my phone, and since I have worked in a call center, talking on the phone gets old.
If your week's entertainment has become a routine, maybe a weekend get away is in order? A road trip to Key West? Weekend cruise to the Bahamas? Maybe Cancun? Check out the offerings from Damron Vacations, where experienced agents can help plan a long weekend or even a multi-country trip to Europe. With many of the world's economies experiencing a downturn, deals are everywhere. If there is a bunch of people traveling together, Damron Vacations also has a Group Department for 10 or more passengers.

No comments:

Post a Comment