Thursday, February 26, 2009

Life the Ultimate Trip

While going on trips, whether for work or pleasure is a great experience, life itself is the ultimate trip. From birth to adulthood, life is filled with many journeys. Some good, some bad, most forgotten, some still vivid memories.
My journey started in New York, but earliest I remember is New Jersey. Norman Rockwell could have used us for a cover picture. Dad the breadwinner, mom the housewife and 5 boys. Summers on the Jersey shore.
Then on to North Carolina. New school, new friends, new neighborhood all another step in my adventure to adulthood. Inner turmoil I ignored was hidden by eating, yes I was a chubby kid. Off to college and the realization of the basis for the turmoil. Yes, I was gay, a MAJOR step in my journey.
Though kept secret it eventually did become public knowledge to my friends. I did loose a few and it is their loss, their journey to acceptance is in a holding pattern. My family accepted the news well and from then on it really did not matter.
I had moved around after college and ended up in Atlanta, kind of a mecca for gay men in the South. After Atlanta I eventually settled in Ft Lauderdale, where I think I will stay. Besides the relocating, I have had the chance to visit many places both here in the United States and Europe. And there are still more I want to see.
But there are many in our community that have had their journey cut short. I am referring to AIDs. I once met a man that said he no longer had any friends that he had known more than a few years. One former coworker that had lived in SFO could rattle off dozens of names. Though still prevalent in out community, the general population has experienced the ravages of the disease. Families destroyed from husbands on the DL(formerly known as closeted). Pregnant mothers unknowingly infecting the unborn.
Then there is Africa. Besides all the social strife, and famine, HIV is wiping out the population. More than 22 MILLION people are effected in sub-Sahara Africa. Lack of medical care and nutrition has lead to over 11 MILLION children being orphans. Social habits, ignorance, rigid sexual practices contribute to the skyrocketing infection rate.
With Spring just around the corner, AIDs Walks are starting their fundraising. In Ft Lauderdale, the AIDs Walk is on 15MAR. Team Damron Vacations is forming and looking for sponsors. Here is a link to my page, feel free to add your name and your contribution Tim at Team Damron. Ending AIDs and its effects in our lifetime is going to take a major effort and cost. Your contribution is tax deductible and greatly appreciated. Remember to ALWAYS wear a raincoat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment