Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Memories......

One of the few things that can never be taken away from us by another person. Time my dim them, some diseases will make you live in them, but they are always yours. There are things from my early childhood I remember as if they happened yesterday. Memories of my mother are circa 1966 and a birthday party where she decorated cupcakes with colored coconut, ice cream was in individual cups with wooden paddles for spoons, and we played games like pin the tail on the donkey.
There were the trips into New York City to visit my maternal grandparents and the Museum of Natural History. The enormous blue whale is still vivid in my mind. The smell of Italian food cooking at my grandparent's apartment. My grandmother in her wheelchair, a harbinger of my own mom's fate. Summers were spent at Seaside Heights in a rented apartment or house, the nights spent on the boardwalk.
After the move to North Carolina, the vacations to Daytona Beach, my parent's favorite place to visit, the Blue Ridge Mountains. 1973, we were the Griswalds years before Chevy Chase and Company. Mom's Country Squire, yellow with wood siding, Charlotte to San Francisco, Painted Desert, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, Death Valley(with broken A/C), Bristlecone pine trees, Yosemite. Then the loop through Tahoe, Grand Teton, Yellwstone and the Pacific Coast Highway. My first plane flight.
Senior year in high school was my first taste of international travel. Madrid and Seville with Mrs Cassale. College spring breaks at the beach and Bermuda for my senior year. Tips to Europe after graduation and cruises. Yes, I love to travel.
Along the way I have owned cars, a condo, watches, etc. Most of which are gone, lost or just worn out. But the memories of all those trips and many more will always be with me and are mine to keep. They include the sights and sounds of the destinations, but also the people I with who I traveled. Some are still good friends, some lost to the years. In a way they will always be with me, whether as a high school senior or as they are today.
There was a conference recently where Ryan Howell of San Francisco State University announced the findings of his latest research. Experiences provided more happiness than possessions. The glamor of a purchase might last for three months, but experiences provided happiness long after the actual event. The experiences provided more of a feeling of being alive, and involved social interaction and bonding. By the way, I have no idea what I got at that birthday party.
Let Damron Vacations help you create some memories to keep forever. Maybe a trip to Europe or teh Caribbean, or maybe a trip home to attend a reunion, remember living well is the best revenge. The knowledgeable agents can help make a trip you will remember for a long long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment